Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Diy card cubby for lack of a better term

As some of you saw I had asked for a card cubby for Christmas.  While I received plenty of amazing gifts I did not get the card cubby.  So after some thought I realized it couldn't be that difficult to diy one for myself.  So I ran off to Pinterest to look for a diy card cubby.   

I managed to find one but didn't really go with the pattern. 

So first things first was to make the pockets.  I had envelopes on hand and used one of my cards to measure the size.  

I cut 26 pockets so I used 13 envelopes.  
Make sure you seal the envelopes before you cut them.  Otherwise you won't have an even pocket. 
Next up is taping the pockets(envelopes) together.  The tutorial I saw suggested double sided tape and I must say I concur.  I did not have double sided tape and so this part was much more difficult than it needed to be. 

Place tape along the top and the bottom making sure to get close to the edge and start sticking the pockets together.  Please remember to have the openings all facing the same direction.  


Once the pockets were secure into an accordian shape it was time to start on the outer shell.  I used card stock.  If exact measurements are needed I can measure and add them later.  Just leave me a comment.  

I rolled out some duct tape, I had the mustache design left over from my sons birthday party.   I left room on the side, when putting the paper down, so I could crate a clean edge.  
I made sure to cut slits in like with the card stock.  I then folded the long end and pushed it down.  Once that was down I folded the side over. 
It's difficult for me to explain so I wipe the pictures are easier to understand.  Do both sides the same and use one long strip for the middle.
I didn't like the look of the pockets so I decided to make sides out of card stock which I covered with duct tape and folded. 
Once both were secure it was time to attach the pockets.  
I taped everything. 
Once I got the entire thing done it was time to put the cards in the pickets.  

So there you have it, my very own duct tape card cubby. Any questions please don't hesitate to ask. 

No comments:

Post a Comment